If you're planning on finding your next dream home, then you're
probably going to view several homes on the market that meet
your criteria. You will want to make the right purchasing decision
for you and your family. So, it's wise to be savvy when viewing
properties for sale. Here are some ideas on how to do that.
• Bring a notepad. Take notes, not only of the home's
characteristics, but also of how you feel. For example, can you
imagine yourself happily cooking up a storm in the kitchen? Do
you see yourself entertaining family on the back deck?
• Bring a measuring tape. Will the furniture you plan to bring fit?
Your dining room suite? Your home fitness equipment?
• Ask about maintenance. Is the property in a good state of
repair? Will anything need to be replaced soon, such as the
• Bring a camera. Take lots of pictures of the home's exterior
features. Don't make the mistake of thinking you'll remember
how everything looked.
• Check out the area. Do other homeowners take good care of
their properties? This shows pride of ownership. How is the noise
level? Is there a playground, or another area feature nearby?
• Make a list of compromises. For example, are there only two
bathrooms instead of three and, if so, can you live with that?
• Make a list of bonuses. What features does the home have that,
are not a necessity, but would be nice to have? For example, an
entertainment bar in the basement recreation room.
• Remember your budget. Is the price within your range? Can you
afford to buy this home?
The savvier you are when viewing properties on the market, the
more likely you will be to find your next dream home.